An Overview of Knee Arthritis Treatment in Perth
What is Knee Osteoarthritis?
Degenerative knee osteoarthritis affects thousands of people in Perth. Osteoarthritis is wear of the cartilage of the knee. With personalised treatment by Dr Meyerkort knee arthritis can be managed effectively.
What causes knee osteoarthritis?
- Prior sporting injury
- Age-related wear and tear
- Increased weight/obesity
- Diabetes and high blood sugars
- Malalignment (crooked) knees
- Joint inflammatory diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis
How Does Knee Osteoarthritis Present?
Common symptoms of knee osteoarthritis include:
- Mechanical symptoms (Clicking/catching / locking)
- Decreased ability to exercise
- Decreased walking distance
- Night pain
What are the non-surgical treatments available for Knee Osteoarthritis?
- Physiotherapy/knee strengthening exercise
- Weight loss
- Simple painkillers such as Paracetamol and anti-inflammatory medications
- Injections such as Cortisone or Hyaluronic acid
What are the surgical treatments available for Knee Osteoarthritis?
- Osteotomy (re-alignment) of the knee
- Partial knee replacement
- Total knee replacement
- Robotic knee replacement
- Note – Knee arthroscopy/keyhole cleanup surgery is not an effective treatment for knee osteoarthritis.